Thursday, February 7, 2008

Peaches




"If only I can be the kind of Person my dog believes I am!"

Peaches is a dog among dogs. She is gentle, kind and loving. She is adored by the kids and she adores them right back. She never barks at night. She is never aggressive or even wild. She is happy to do whatever you want to do. She is clumsy, a terrible swimmer and just plain wonderful. She is Eliese's best friend.

On Sunday James noticed that Peaches' mouth was swollen. It began to look like she had a golf ball in her mouth. When it wasn't better on Monday we decided we had better take her to the Vet.

Kyle took Peaches to the Vet today. Peaches has Cancer. She has a very fast growing tumor in her mouth. The Vet said that probably with in one to two weeks, she will no longer be able to eat and she will have to be put to sleep.

Today has been a very sad day. We have cried and cried. Everyone except Peaches and Eliese are very, very sad. It really breaks my heart to see Eliese just happily playing with her dog. The kids are taking this really hard. They cried with real sorrow. The have experienced real love and now are experiencing real grief.

Maybe we are given pets to teach us love, patience, and responsiblity. Maybe they come to us to teach us the important lessons of death and grief. Dogs usually only live about 12 years. Peaches is almost 12. Kyle has made the comment often that dogs do not live long enough. Maybe they don't so that we can practice knowing death. Tonight has been a good opportunity to discuss that plan of happiness and the Savior's gift.

And so to Peaches...We love you! You have been a very noble, good dog and friend to All.

10 comments:

Rindi said...

Oh...I can't believe it. That is such a heart breaker. I am so sorry. Good luck this week. Just thinking about this, now I am sure there are dogs in Heaven. Your kids will never forget this. Poor Peach.

♥Shally said...

I am so sorry... losing a pet is so hard.

Anonymous said...

OH that is awful sad!! I don't even know Peaches and I'm crying. I am so sorry for your family. Our pets are family. xo

Dan and Fam said...

Poor peaches, she never complains, she is just happy all the time. I am sorry.

Shanakin Skywalker said...

I will have to bring Cooper for a goodbye visit tomorrow!! I'm so sorry!

mama bird said...

What a hard thing for your kids to have to go through! I'm so sorry.

Krista said...

Sunnee,
I am sooo sorry. I want you to know I have never truly known grief through a death until my very first dog Sandy died. I truly grieved for a year. Until then, only one person in my life had died, and I was not very close to them, so I had no idea what losing someone (or something) was like. Thinking of her now makes me happy and sad still. I will just always love and remember her for staying up with me all night long while I was in nursing school. When everyone was long past in bed, and I was so lonely I could cry, Sandy was always right there with me.

Your grief will lessen with time, but I truly hope our beloved pets will be in Heaven with us.

Krista said...

I forgot to add to not give up hope. Dogs don't live forever, but my Sandy was supposed to only live 2-4 weeks due to kidney failure, but she ended up lasting over a year before we felt she was too sick to enjoy life anymore.
Enjoy her while you can, and do all the things she loves so you can have good memories of her last bit of time with you.

Brook said...

So sorry to hear about Peaches. She sounds like such a sweet thing. Thanks for sharing your memories with us.

Paige said...

I'm also sorry about Peaches. That is a tough thing to go through with your kids. It is also hard to see a pet suffer. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.