Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Blogging

I was thinking about blogging as I posted my latest entry. I was thinking to myself, "Do people really get sick of my Smile Boxes? Would they rather just see a few pictures?" I've also been wondering if my use of ... gets annoying to others. I guess the true question is, Do we blog to keep track of our own lives and memories, or do we blog to stay in touch with others? I think the answer has to be both. So I will tell you why I enter so many smile boxes. (I have no idea why I use ... so much, I guess it's what I type while I'm thinking?)

When James was a baby we were living in Provo. Kyle was still going to BYU. Provo has to have been the birth place of modern day scrap booking. I literally lived 1 block from Pebbles in My Pocket. I was fresh out of college, had 1 baby and absolutely nothing on which to use my mind and creativity(what little I possess). A friend showed my scrap booking. I think she thought I was from another planet...how could I have possibly lived these many years and never known about stickers, paper, layouts... I fell in love. James's darling face came to life on my cute pages. I kept getting better and better as I got ideas from others. My mom warned me that a few kids down the road and I would not have enough time or energy to keep it up. She also said the later children would feel less loved as their pictures were stored in a shoe box, not on scrapbook paper. "No", I said, I would vow to scrapbook everyone!!

Well I just happen to be farther down that kid road my mom talked about. With 4 kids and everything that comes with them scrap booking had come to a dead halt. I had kept up until Eliese was born. It was really stressful because I love Eliese and she is darling and deserves a place in the scrapbook. Kyle told me I should turn to digital. Rindi did a lot of research and also went digital. With help from Rindi, I found "Smile box". It is my answer to scrap booking. If I just enter pictures onto my blog, the scrapbook question is not solved. And so my finished products usually find their way onto my blog page.

I am loving blogging. I love having a running journal of our regular life. Our life looks so happy on the computer screen that it is actually making me a better mom. I want to be the person I see smiling with her kids. I am also loving the relationships I am able to have with all of you. This is a wonderful new hobby. Can I keep it up forever?? Who knows but hopefully I can keep it up until the next wonderful replacement comes along.

PS Is Pebbles in My Pocket surviving with all of the digital? I hope so, at one time I sure loved that store!

12 comments:

Em Russ said...

ha ha, what a great post! I have been thinking some of the same things lately. Just yesterday I was wondering how long we'll all keep up on our blogging. I was also pondering the question, "who is my blog for..." (notice that I also use ... all the time!!) I decided that my blog is really for me and my kids. I'm going to figure out how to print or save my stuff at some point... sometime... and I agree that my life also looks happier on the blog. And... I also LOVED Pebbles in my Pocket in my Provo days and hope it's survived all this digitizing. And to round off this incredibly long comment, I absolutely LOVE staying in touch with you and everyone else. It makes me feel not so far away!

♥Shally said...

Go to blurb.com--- you can publish your blog. The books look great, and I am going to use my blog as my scrapbook.

Rindi said...

That's really strange that you were thinking about that, because just this morning I was thinking about blogging and evaluating how I really feel about it. Yesterday, I took Emily and Johnny's advice and signed up for Google reader, to simplify keeping up with everyone. That took me a long time yesterday to get it all set up. I started feeling like a crazy blogging addict. So, I stopped doing it and started reading "Pride and Prejudice" just so that I could feel like I was a real person living in the real world and not cyberspace. I love seeing you and your family, though. And your smileboxes are very cute. But, seeing you in person would be so much better...until next time!

The Mapuche's Mom said...

Hey Sunee-
Dayna and I have completely given up scrapbooking....digital or otherwise. It is VERY freeing! I suggest it to everyone! (But, keep blogging or otherwise I don't know what you are up to!)
-Tawnee

Anonymous said...

I use ... so much and I always think people must be annoyed but...oh well! I love your blog and love reading your thoughts. I love blogging--HATE scrapbooking!!

Dan and Fam said...

Sun, I like your blog and pics. i love my lil buddy James and the others. Soon, I promise, I will post some pics of us all shooting in the Desert. BTW, am I once again the only man blogging/scrapbooking?..
Dan

Anonymous said...

Sunee, I BAG TAGGED you. Go to my blog for details.
It's something to blog about!

Anonymous said...

Have you noticed how much I use !!!!!!! too?

Shanakin Skywalker said...

I do it for both keeping and touch and journaling. I love to keep a journal, but it's hard for me to write my thoughts when I know that most likely I'm the only one that will read it till I'm dead and my grandkids inherit it! Not a whole lot of feedback! I love that I can communicate every day with my friends in SLC and everywhere else in the country and see their lives and hear their thoughts too. Both very good reasons!!

Brooke said...

Keep it up Suneee, I love to see what you are up to!

Paige said...

I also love to see what your family is up to. I also kept up on the scrapbooking until Drew was born. I haven't put a single picture into an album for 4 1/2 years! I feel bad, but who has time!! There are too many other important things to demand our attention now. Hopefully we will be able to do something meaningful for the younger ones.

Laura said...

How funny. I am brand new to blogging (I started two nights ago:) and I was just thinking about who blogging is really for, too. I think that it is primarily for you and your immediate family (like a scrapbook), but ironically what makes it so fun is the fact that you have friends and family reading it and giving you immediate feedback on it.