Sunday, January 13, 2008

Animals

I was not born with the language of animals. I have been scared of animals from the time I can remember. My mom says that I have never gone through a traumatic experience which scarred me for life...I just came this way. I have bad memories of house dogs and slumber parties. Jogging in Hooper was always a treat... plenty of stray dogs, cats and an occasional pig. I grew up in a farming community, yet the love of the farm animal did not rub off onto me.

Then came Eliese. A mother's love know no bounds for her child. Eliese was born to sore with the Eagles (or at least pet a kitty). Eliese delights in EVERY animal we see. And seeing the animal is not good enough, she wants to run right up and grab them. She squeal with delight over anything with 4 legs.

I have had a softening of heart. When I see my darling baby find pure joy in the animal world, I cannot remain so strongly against all animals. I will not say I love animals, but my fears and feelings are softening. I am becoming a little more "normal" in my attitude.

I still have a ways to go. I will admit I am concerned for the day when Eliese can form the idea into a sentence..."Mom, can I pleassssse have a KITTY!!"





Eliese being darling with Peaches (notice they are in the House!)

6 comments:

Paige said...

I share your non-love for animals. I am learning a lot with our 2 puppies. It was hard for me to pick them up to take themm out to go potty. Now they are so big that I have to walk them as the kids can't handle them. How did that happen?

Em Russ said...

I can't imagine you with a "kitty"!! We've been reading "Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy" (you should get it if you don't have it). Anyway, Nancy gets a dog and so Lila has been starting to ask for a pet... YIKES!! Good thing we don't even have room for our kids or I wouldn't have a good excuse to say no. Good luck with the whole kitty prospect! I'm sure she'll figure out how to say it soon enough!

stalee said...

You know what I have to say about this. I had no idea that I would have a dog and that I would love her. I am glad you are doing better because that kind of fear can really effect your life. I love to watch Elise around animals. When we lived there she loved my dog more than your boys. She is so cute and fun. I am excited to see you guys in a couple of days!

The Mapuche's Mom said...

I share your problem. My kid is an animal lover too and he did not get it from me. It's sick I tell you! We've graduated to fish. But, truthfully I thought they'd be dead within a month or two. It's nearly been a year and we still have four of them!!!! Yuck. I have to clean out their tank tonight. (Notice I said....I. That's how it always goes.

Dan and Fam said...

Heheheh so funny, We might buy Elise a kitten for her Bday. Does she like white fluffy ones? Jk
Dan

Nick said...

Sunee, I too share the non-love for animals but Nick has a dog. When people ask if I have any pets I have jokingly said "I don't but my husband does..." True statement. She's the best dog in the world but the animal loving never rubbed off on me either! I feel your pain on this one...
Tami